Sunday, May 24, 2009

My Little Garden


It has been almost 6 weeks and most of my plants are still alive. I have basil, cucumbers and jalapenos. I have planted seeds for watermelon, green peppers and zucchini. The cucumber plant is out of season so I'm not sure how much longer that will last but it looks pretty so far:)
I also decided to start a compost pile so that I could get some good compost for the fall when I want to plant more vegetables. The city of Phoenix has old bins that they cut the bottom off for you to buy for $5 to use as a compost bin. Can't beat that.
When I move it around I can see some black soil in there so I think it is working. I have decided no more pine needles, though, as they seem to be taking forever to compost. Most of what I put in is fruit and veggie scraps, egg shells, paper and grass.

No comments: