Tuesday, June 9, 2009

She Sure Looks Perfect

And soon enough she will be. After a day of testing at the Cardiology office she has been diagnosed with Patent Ductus Arteriosis (PDA). It is a mild congenital heart defect where she has an extra artery that will have to be closed surgically since it did not close as it should have at birth. According to the Dr it is a heart defect that is on the far mild end of the spectrum so that part is good. Having to have heart surgery, not so good for me! They are going to try and go in through the leg as they said she has a medium sized PDA and as long as it is that size or smaller there should be no problems. If they can't go in through the leg they will go in through the side of her chest in between her ribs to cut off the extra artery.
They said she is one of the healthiest babies they have seen with this condition as usually the babies are very sickly and small because it causes mild heart failure. They want to get it done before the winter season hits because with this condition the babies always have fluid in their lungs and therefore get sicker with colds and end up with more wheezing and pneumonia and just take longer overall to recover. Since she all ready had wheezing last winter with a cold that sounds like a good plan to me as I don't want her to be that sick again this winter. So, as long as she continues to thrive we will go back in August for the surgery consultation and then schedule the surgery from there.

6 comments:

Lise said...

I'm so sorry to hear the news! I sure had my fingers crossed for a good doctor's report for your little girl today. It sounds like, given the circumstances, you've still got lots to be happy about. You've done a great job keeping your little angel healthy, which gives her a great start going into surgery. You'll be in my thoughts until your beauty gets her clean bill of health!

Xandi said...

I am so sorry to hear that Angie. Yes, she is healthy and I'm sure everything will be fine. I love that picture of her..such a cutie! Tell your sister congrats for us. We need to hang out again soon.

OurCarsAndCops said...

sorry to hear about this. She is a beauty and we wish only the best for you guys. You will all be in our thoughts. Please keep us updated!!!!

April, Daniel and the kids :)

p.s. I am off work the next two weeks (starting next monday) if you want to get the kids together at all for a play date...let me know!!

Just the Five of Us said...

Oh my goodness Angie, I had no idea about this. I will keep her in my prayers. Keep me posted on how things go.

Carson said...

We will be praying for her and for you and the hubby. I hope everything goes well :)

ChristineG said...

Your little beauty and your family are in my prayers. Keep us all updated as to the date of the surgery. I gotta say, she's the healthiest, happiest little girl I've ever seen that needs surgery.